Grangetown Community Action held its annual general meeting on Thursday November 17th at the Grange Pavilion to elect a new committee, following the sad deaths of our chairman and vice chair in September.
The meeting heard of the desire to move forward with new and current projects for what will be the organisation’s 40th anniversary year in 2017.
Former secretary Ashley Lister was elected as chairman – succeeding his late grandfather Chris Lomax, who was chair for the past decade.
Nicola Allen was elected as secretary and Colin Greer as the new treasurer, both joining the committee for the first time. Tariq Awan, recently elected as local councillor, was elected vice chair, succeeding the late Hazel Ball.
Among activities planned for 2017:
- The annual Festival Week and Carnival in June, which will include a theme around 1977 – when Grangetown Community Concern (our old name) was formed. A group of Cardiff University volunteers will be assisting the organising group.
- The Spring edition of Grangetown News will be planned in January – with a meeting for volunteers and contributors at Grangetown Hyb on Thursday 10th January (6pm). Volunteers will also be sought to assist with advertising. The distribution list is also being revised. The new format has been well received and also provides a sustainable way of moving forward.
- A project/volunteer team will be set up to progress the Shop Local project, which includes ideas for an occasional street market and business forum, both positive responses in a recent marketing survey. Community Gateway and Cardiff University Business School are involved.
- There are a number of events which will be supported and organised under the Grangetown Community Action banner during 2017 for which grant funding and working with other groups will be required. More will follow.
- Fund-raising and the idea of an open membership was discussed.
The next meeting will be on Thursday 15th December at the Pavilion (7.15pm), with new members welcome. Contact us if you or your organisation would like to be represented. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
EXECUTIVE OFFICERS AND COMMITTEE 2016/17:
Chairman: Ashley Lister
Secretary: Nicola Allen
Treasurer: Colin Greer
Vice chair Tariq Awan
Publicity officer/Website: Steve Duffy
Executive committee: Ken Barker, John Fellows, Maliika Kaaba, Diane Dowsell, Rhys Price, Steve Khaireh, Father David Morris.
Advisers: Councillors Ashley Govier, Lynda Thorne; Vaughan Gething AM, Joyce Martin, David Reeves. More to be advised.